Index of emigrants and transportees from Kent 1800-1930
A number of different records held in Kent archive repositories are being used to compile this index. Most people included are Kentish people but some, mentioned in letters and family collections, were emigrants from outside Kent and some transportees may also have come from outside Kent.
Parish records - mainly Vestry Minutes and collections of emigration papers, some Overseers of the Poor accounts and baptisms in parish registers. Main period these are of use is 1820-1850.
- East and West Kent Quarter Sessions papers 1800 onwards.
- Poor Law Union records 1834-1930 - Minutes and correspondence, those records held in Kent only at present, but it is planned in due course to extend coverage to the Unions' correspondence with the Poor Law Commissioners which is held at the Public Record Office.
- Family collections including letters and applications for assistance with expenses, mostly 19th century. Some of these, and others mentioned in the letters, were emigrants from outside Kent.
Non-conformist church books - mostly 19th century.
- Newspapers - 19th century, these sometimes include letters from emigrants and names of those emigrating.
Quarter Sessions papers, the main source of information in this period, include many details concerning those sentenced to transportation, depositions concerning their crimes, entries in House of Correction and Gaol calendars, notes of their sentence, mentions in various officials' bills. Also in these bills are mentions of convicts, not necessarily convicted at Kent Quarter Sessions, being taken on board ships at Woolwich for transportation.
Most emigrants in this index were what is known as assisted emigrants, that is, they were assisted with meeting the expenses of emigrating usually by their parish or Poor Law Union. However, there are also many emigrants in this index who went under their own steam. These may be mentioned in newspapers, letters, family collections and church records. Another part of the index consists of references to those emigrants from Kent who have been mentioned in books and articles.
Descendants of Emigrants Index
Enquiries regarding specific emigrants from Kent will be entered in a separate part of this index and form an index of descendants of emigrants. If the same person is enquired about then, subject to the consent of both parties, the several enquirers will be put in touch with each other.
How to order:
£5 per surname (except for common ones - please ask for a
quote), family or individual sought. Replies normally sent same
day by e-mail, but can be mailed if preferred.
Enquirers only - please remit by Sterling bank draft or cash
or approximate value in American Dollars cash.
- Index searches may be purchased on-line at:
look for "Kent Family History Research" in the Main
Hall, Ancestry Arcade section.
Miss G.Rickard, Kent, England
Please contact me by email initially
© Copyright 2000 - 2018 Gillian Rickard
Updated December 2018